Saturday, November 1, 2008

Traditional Holiday

I envy American because they can spend good holiday on Halloween.Unfortunately, in our culture, we don't have Halloween holiday.In this time of year, November 3, we have a holiday. We call it "Bunka no hi". The meaning of the day is to love our nation and peace. We can take a break on this holiday. But we don't celebrate or go out with costume unlike Halloween.Moreover,we have similar holiday to Halloween. We call it "obon". This is a holiday that concern and respect the ancester. Many people go back their hometown in the middle of August. During this time, we go to the graves and give them flower. Also, we pray for Buddhist alter and put some food on it. Compared to Halloween, this holiday is also completely differnt.
This holiday is not for celebration like Halloween.Many years ago, people go back their hometown to meet relative and pray for ancesters. However, many people travel somewhere through this holiday.So, I think it is not more important for people than before.But I think this holiday is traditional.The more the society or world change, the more traditional ways are changing.I think we shoud take over traditional ways of the holiday because our ancester kept doing thet ways.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I remember being in Japan right before that festival. I know that they burn the big kanji on the surrounding Kyoto at that time. I wish I could have stayed longer to see the festival but I had to leave back for the US.